Tuesday 20 March 2012

Picasso at the Tate Britain



At the weekend I went to the Tate Britain to see the Picasso & Modern British Art exhibition. The Tate Britain is near the Westminster tube station, with a nice walk along the riverside and the buildings around that area are beautiful. 
Obviously I was not able to take pictures inside but there was a variety of different art forms and works from other artists such as Henry Moore, Ben Nicholson and David Hockney. In one of the first rooms some theatre costumes caught my eye which were from the Ballets Russes for the production 'The Cornered Hat' - they were made with beautiful fabrics and had great detailing.
I particularly liked the oil paintings by Picasso which were made up of bright coloured dots. Up close they look like nothing but then stand back and it's a beautiful painting.
My favourite room, however, had to be the work of David Hockney. In his work he uses bright, vivid colours that immediatley catch the eye. One piece named 'Composite Polaroid' was a picture made up of different pictures to make an amazing final image. Also his oil painting named 'Harlequin' stood out to me because of the use of such bold colours.
The exhibition has been running from the 15th February and will be open up until the 15th July. I have to admit I am not really one for going to lots of art exhibitions in this country, even though I've lived in London for over 6 months now I haven't been to many, but this one is worth visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment